Usk town dates back to before Roman times. There was a large Roman fort in the town. The town was set out in Norman times and the modern town has the same layout. The Castle was started around 1130 and the Priory Church around the same time. The Norman lord also created the town market square and surrounding streets. The Castle and Priory Church remain but the oldest other remaining existing buildings date from early 1400s, though built on older foundations.
Usk Civic Society has created a Blue Plaque Trail with 27 plaques around the town.
Download the Trail – UCS Blue Plaque Trail
- Usk Bridge
- Usk Castle
- Usk Malt Barn and Rural Life Museum
- Norman market and houses
- The Old House, New Market Street
- The Old Maltsers, New Market Street
- Old Market and Town Hall
- The Priory Church of St Mary
- Roger Edwards Grammar School
- Roman Usk
- Usk Sessions House
For details on more buildings in the area, and the rest of Wales, see:- https://historypoints.org/