Bill Bailey unveiling the Alfred Russel Wallace plinth in Twyn Square, Usk.
Please click for the Press Release- ARW opening
Usk is a small town of 2800 people in South East Wales. Its history goes back to the Romans and Normans.
Usk Civic Society Aims:
To promote high standards of planning, architecture and design; to inform people about the history, geography and conservation of the natural and built environment in Usk and surrounding areas. We take an active and positive interest in planning policies and proposals and proposed developments in our area by:-
- Promoting interest in, and concern for, the history, geography and civic pride of Usk by arranging a series of talks in the autumn and winter months (held on the second Wednesday of each month at the Sessions House in Usk).
- Responding to consultations on draft development plans published by the Local Planning Authority (Monmouthshire County Council) and Welsh Government;
- Scrutinising all planning applications and development proposals, submitting observations and objections to the relevant public body, statutory undertaking and others; we appear at public inquiries to express our views
- We promote good design and environmental improvement through annual Awards for Environmental Improvement, which were re-introduced in 2003 with a newly designed framed certificate.
- We contribute towards Usk in Bloom by financial support and by awards in the category ”Best House Front without a Garden”.
- We hold social events – a Summer Party and a Christmas Party at which the Environmental Improvement Awards are presented by our President.
- We attend Usk Show each September with an exhibition to broadcast and promote our activities and interests.
- Alfred Russel Wallace, co-founder with Charles Darwin of the Theory of Natural Selection, was born just outside Usk. The Civic Society have had a statue put up in Twyn Square, Usk, to commemorate him. Click for Information on A. R. Wallace
The Society has put up 27 Blue Plaques around Usk in historic locations.